MICROTECH was started in 1992, as a spin-off of the Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Palermo, Italy. It was founded by a team of people with previous interdisciplinary experience in the field of microtechnology, and coming from advanced research experiences in institutions such as MIT, Columbia University, Lincoln Laboratory, University of Glasgow.
The core activity of MICROTECH is the creation of customized and innovative solutions for specific research of industrial requirements. Besides custom system fabrication, the company has also a standard product line, the LaserWriter, a general purpose and low cost laser pattern generator for microlithographic mask fabrication or direct writing on the final substrate (2-D or 3-D).
According to the company motto, "Customizing innovation", MICROTECH systems contain a balanced mixture of innovative ideas, custromized solutions and cost optimization. This is possible thanks to the interdisciplinary know-how of MICROTECH's engineers as well as their intense collaboration with academic institutions.
The following list is a selection of the founders' publications in the field of laser direct writing.
Multilevel pattern generation by GaN laser lithography: an application to beam shaper fabrication
- Proc. SPIE Vol. 6290, 62900A (2006).
Chalcogenide thin films for direct resistors fabrication and trimming
- Materials Science and Semiconductor Processing 7, p. 337-341, Elsevier (2004).
Micropatterned free-standing shadow masks for PVD applications
- Proc. of the 5th Symposium of European Vacuum Coaters”, Anzio (2002).
- Fabrication of thin film inductors
by laser lithography and related processing on 3-D substrates"
- Proc. of EMC'97, 11th European Microelectronics Conf., Venice (1997).
Fabrication of Diffractive Optics: surface reliefs and artificial dielectrics
- in Diffractive Optics and Optical Microsystems, pp.119-131, Plenum Press (1997).
- Technologies for the fabrication
of cylindrical fine line devices - Microelectronic Engineering
35, p. 417 (1997)
- Resist coating of cylindrical
samples for 3-D lithography - Microelectronics International,
No.36, p.22, January 1995.
- Copper patterning on dielectrics
by laser writing in liquid solution - Appl. Phys. Lett. 64,
- Flexible laser tracing systems for
defining thin film hybrid geometries - Hybrid Circuits, No.33,
- Laser direct writing of gold
conductors from metallo-organic inks - Advanced Materials for
Optics and Electronics 2, p.93 (1993).
- Laser beam lithography for 3-D
surface patterning - in "Laser Applications for Mechanical
Industry", p. 315, edited by S.Martellucci, Kluwer Academic
- The laser-plotter: a versatile
lithographic tool for integrated optics and microelectronics -
Microelectronic Engineering 17, p.483 (1992).